The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, January 16, 2014

My 2014 Goal.

I've never been one to make New Year's Resolutions, so I hesitate to call it that, but this year I do have a "goal" I guess you could say.  I stole it from a former teacher of mine that has been through so much in the past couple of years.  She blogged through it all and one of the biggest things I got from it was to "be present" in your life.  Also, recently I saw a video that really hit me hard.  I am bad about my cell phone, always having it, checking it constantly, and wasting WAY too much time trolling Facebook.  Take a couple of minutes and watch the video here.  I think so many of us are guilty of this.

Anyway, my goal is to be more present.  The past couple of weeks, when Colt and I are at home playing, we have even turned the TV to a music channel instead of having mindless TV shows blaring in the background.  It has made a world of difference in the way Colt concentrates.  Duh.  I should have done this more ages ago.  We have played AND FINISHED so many games of Chutes and Ladders I can't even count.  We have played trains and with his cash register for sometimes an hour at a time.  That is HUGE for Colt!  Last night, I got over an hour out of him SITTING AT THE KITCHEN TABLE coloring with me while our dinner cooked.  Granted, every time the song changes he says "Is this?"  He wants to know the name and artist of the song.  Ha. 

So, this year I will try to put the phone away and be present with my little boy.  This even means TAKE LESS PICTURES because I always have that phone in his face taking his picture.  Sigh.  I take a million pictures, I know.  I also know that he will not be this little forever and I want to try to capture as much of it as I can to show him later on.  The struggle to capture the moments on "film" versus just logging them away in my head is real.  ;)  In twenty years, when Colt is looking back on his childhood, I don't want the picture in his head to be of Mommy with a cell phone in her hand.  I want it to be Mommy right by his side, laughing, wrestling, joking, making cookies, snuggling, playing race cars in the hallway, coloring, painting, throwing the baseball, and living with no distractions because seriously, look at this face... 

Isn't he worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment