Today was our follow-up with Colt's geneticist, Dr. Cathy Stevens. If you have been following Colt's journey for the last couple of years, you will know he has been through lots of testing to try to find the root of all of his developmental delays. We had two rounds of genetic testing done with no answers and decided to stop for a year and see what happened. Colt was having nightmares and it was getting harder and harder to watch him scream and fight while they put him to sleep or poked him with needles.
So, it's been a year and here we are, a whole year of unbelievable progress from our precious boy. We have so many people to thank for that - therapists, praying friends, fantastic teachers, and a very supportive family. Dr. Stevens was VERY pleased with Colt's journey. She couldn't believe how much he can say, when only months ago, he communicated with signs and very, very few words. She says he is still terribly large with a large head, but now thinks the head size may be genetic. Thanks, Ryan. ;)
She is still a bit concerned with his low muscle tone. She thinks we should get back in with a physical therapist and is writing us a recommendation. She thinks that should also help with jumping, climbing steps, etc. The speech therapy should continue for enunciation/clarity purposes.
She also would LIKE another MRI to check his brain damage and see if it has changed at all. However, we are going to wait. It really won't change anything for him right now, so maybe if he is still behind his peers before starting Pre-K, we will have another one.
So, there we are! Continue therapy and wait it out. Now though, I have no idea how to go about getting PT started again without the help of Babies Can't Wait.
I am very happy with the visit and thrilled to know she doesn't think we need to pursue any more testing for now. Our hard work and awesome support system is paying off. I can see that in Colt every day.