The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Reaching Out.

Following our geneticist's recommendation, I am now trying to get physical therapy through the school system for Colt.  Here is my latest email (minus names) to the county Special Education Services:

Ms. I.,

I have a little boy (Colt D., 3 1/2) that receives speech therapy through Cherokee Ridge. He was tested by T. C.  in October 2013, after aging out of Babies Can't Wait. We were assured he would qualify for Special Ed Pre-K because of his delays, but indeed, he did not. I was told his cognitive ability was too high. I realize that is a good thing, but it left us with a lot of problems and no solutions, also nowhere to go. We ended up at Siskin Children's Institute and love it, however, because we live in Georgia he cannot receive therapy through them. I mentioned we get speech and I am thankful for that, but he was receiving PT through BCW and wasn't approved for it through the school system. I was very unhappy with this testing and I feel that because he DOESN'T have a diagnosis, he is allowed to let "fall through the cracks." Luckily, we see some amazing doctors that are trying to give us direction, but none can seem to figure out why our school system isn't helping us more. We recently saw Dr. Stevens, our geneticist, and she strongly recommends Colt receive PT again. Can you please help me? What can I do? 

I was referred to you by C. H., a dear friend and W. County teacher. She has a son that has some similar issues to my son now and she has been a wonderful resource and sounding board. 

Thank you in advance for any help or direction you can give. I refuse to let my precious boy fall through the cracks. He doesn't deserve that.

JBD

 So, here's hoping we can get a little help and hopefully add PT back in to our life.  Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment