The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day 1 of PT

Yesterday was Colt's first day of physical therapy.  It was at 8 am and I was pretty convinced it was going to be a disaster.  Some days, Colt wakes up in an absolutely brilliant mood.  Others, it is the total opposite.  I suppose that is anyone, but anyway, I was just hoping it was a good mood day.  Luckily, it was.  Jeannie is the physical therapist, and she said he did great for the first 30 minutes.  The second half, he started to get a bit rambunctious, but hey, he's a two year old boy.  Their attention span is only so long.  About halfway through the session, Jeannie came out and got a tiny little step-stool out of the bathroom and took it in the room with them.  They were working on stepping up without holding anyone's hand.  They have steps, but Colt couldn't use those, so she took in a smaller one.  The smaller one is only about 3-4" tall.  After a while, she said he stepped up on the small step without holding her hand!  It sounds silly to you, I am sure, but Colt has never been able to do that!  He still would not step off without holding on to something, but I am positive they will get there soon.  Eventually, he'll be able to do the steps without sitting down and sliding down on his butt, I am sure of it.  I also excited about them teaching him to do things like jump, pull up and down his own pants, and helping him work on his balance, so he can run and jump and play like the other kids.  I mentioned before, he tests about 18 months behind so this is much needed.  Oh, how I wish we had been able to do this sooner.  :) 

After therapy, we had breakfast at the high class establishment known as Waffle House.  Colt ate an entire waffle and a side of bacon and then wanted more!  He's a fan, just like his mommy.  ;)  We also got in some quality time at the playground, right before I twisted my ankle so bad I was in tears.  Today it is nice and blue.  Bah. 

Tomorrow has been one month since we saw the geneticist.  I am oh-so-anxiously awaiting that call.  In the next week or so, we should also be hearing from the school system.  They will be arranging to test Colt and see if he "qualifies" for preschool.  No doubt he will due to the severe speech delay.  He is steadily catching up, which is wonderful, but is still behind.  Eventually, when he catches up (assuming there is nothing else holding him back) he can "test out" or graduate from the special ed preschool.  So, that is where we stand today.  Thanks for keeping up with our wild boy!

 My Waffle House buddy!
 All smiles at the playground.
My little Picasso loves to draw!

No comments:

Post a Comment