The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Next Chapter.

We have finally made the decision about Colt's school.  We decided to accept the spot at the downtown location of Siskin.  I feel like it would be stupid NOT to take it.  Obviously something about that place works for Colt.  We don't know what exactly it is, but something works.  The class sizes?  The specific teachers (we adore them!)?  The structure?  The curriculum and routine?  The fact that they don't use fluorescent overhead lights?!?  I mean, heck, who knows.  I guess it doesn't really matter, it just works.  So, we are going to transfer downtown and pray it continues to work.  If it doesn't, we'll be heartbroken.  I wish, wish, wish his teachers were coming downtown too, but they are not.  I can't say I blame them.  However, we have Colt to think of and if it works, that's where we will go.  Even with the decision to close the East Brainerd location (which I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND), this is an amazing, magical place. 

So, our plan was to stay at the current location until they closed at the end of May.  Recently, we were told by the downtown director that there is a spot open in a class that will fit Colt.  However, there is only that one spot and if we don't take it and decide to stay until EB closes, we will have to wait until they get the new classrooms finished to start.  That same day, we got a letter from the Siskin President saying those classes won't be finished until August.  That would leave us with June and July without the structure and routine Siskin provides for Colt.  Each time I drop Colt off lately, his class is smaller than the last time I left him.  My fear was that with the more and more kids that transfer to other places with the impending close, they will close sooner than May 30th.  With a very heavy heart, Ryan and I decided it was time to move him before we were left with nowhere to go until August. 

Next week is Colt's last week at Siskin's East Brainerd location.  In only 4 short months, that place has changed our lives.  They have provided structure, routine, and stability to my son.  They have provided teachers that love him more than I could have imagined.  They have provided smiling faces and hugs at the front desk each time we have entered those doors.  They provided me with reassurance when I left in tears on his first day.  They patiently answered my check-in calls when he went through some uncharacteristically rough mornings and clung to my legs.  They provided communication through a teacher fluent in sign language when my son of few words couldn't speak but could sign to communicate.  They provided my nearly word-less boy with complete spoken sentences in four very short months.  They taught him to sing his ABCs and to play musical chairs.  Most importantly to me, they provided my son with CONFIDENCE.

I am sorry to see this chapter of our lives end.  I pray the next chapter at the downtown location will be just as magical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment