The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Struggling.

I do not know what has been going on with Colt lately, but I swear to you I think he's been possessed by some monster-like demon.  Or maybe he's just three years old.  He and I have absolutely butted heads for about a week or more now and I am finding myself very, VERY frustrated and tired.  He is testing every single thing I say and every single boundary I set.  Just Tuesday morning I told him 'no' about something and he said "I don't like that!" "You don't like what?" "I don't like when you say 'no!'"  Ah.  Well, get used to it, little buddy.  Is he just being three?

Also, let's talk about potty training.  ALL NON-PARENTS CONSIDER THIS A FAIR WARNING.  He has been doing great with potty training for the most part.  We still struggle to get him to tell us BEFORE he goes, but he will go every time you take him.  Sometimes he even makes it a whole day in the same Pull-Up!  Well, all of a sudden the past week or so (same time frame as the demon possession) he has absolutely stopped all progess in potty training and actually gone backwards, if you will.  Before, he was wearing "big boy undies" around the house and doing great, sometimes even telling us without us having to take him.  Now, a few times this week, he's just peed in them and left puddles on my rug.  I have NO IDEA what to do.  Did I miss the "perfect timing window?"  Did I do something wrong?  Did I not praise him enough when he did do it right?  I know by this point, most of his friends are potty trained or pretty doggone close.  However, Colt has NEVER been on the same timeline as anyone else, so I didn't really expect him to be for this either.  I just thought we would be closer at this point.  We've been actively working on it for a good 9 months or more.  What is the problem?  What have I done wrong? 

I have wondered about the school transition being hard on him.  His last day at the other location was a week ago today.  That was hard, also he's been in a new place this week, so that is probably hard.  On top of that, he's been sick for about 8-10 days.  He also got glasses 6 days ago.  Could it be that he's sick/overwhelmed AND I am pushing him too hard?  I have no idea.

Anyway,  we are STRUGGLING.  I have found myself in tears every single day for the past week over him.  I have yelled more than I would like to admit.  He knows I am frustrated and feeds off of it, it seems.  I am trying to just pray when I get mad or find myself at my wit's end.  I learned a long time ago, you never, EVER pray for patience.  Instead I pray this - Please God, help me know how to parent this beautiful gift you have entrusted to me because I sure don't know how to do it on my own.  So, if you get a second, pray for me.  If you have any ideas or advice, share with me.  I am officially desperate. 

4 comments:

  1. You're not alone! Andy and I have been saying the EXACT same thing about Cooper for the past week... that he seems demon possessed... those are the exact words out of our mouths! We don't know what to do with him either. I've had many a nights shedding tears myself this week! I'll pray for you... I know it's hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we are in good company! A fellow mother told me the same thing! I'll return the prayers!

      Delete
  2. You are absolutely NOT doing anything wrong. M would always have accidents when she changed classes. She would also sprout devil horns because she HATES change and thrives on routine. Love you! You're an amazing mama! Promise!

    ReplyDelete