The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, December 20, 2012

A recipe!

Today, Ryan is home with Colt again and I am at work.  That is a strange feeling, as it is usually the opposite.  Tuesday, Ryan said Colt was really good and only unwrapped part of one present.  Ha.  That's the first one, so I consider this Christmas season a success so far. ;)  This morning, Ryan wanted to take Colt to the mall to do a bit of shopping.  It is a nasty, rainy, cold day and Colt was terribly grumpy this morning and refused to eat breakfast for him.  I tried to tell him that it was going to be a disaster, but he was undeterred.  Figures.  Ryan remembered the stroller was in my car, so they came by to get it.  As soon as they walked into the office, I knew he was going to regret taking the trip to the mall.  Colt didn't even acknowledge me, just wanted to play with the calculator and run the tapes on it.  I barely got a kiss.  Anyway, they went to the mall where Colt cried every time Ryan turned the stroller to go into a store.  Ha.  He was THAT kid.  Needless to say, they didn't get anything done and went home.  Colt is cutting his two year molars and has been great, until yesterday.  He's on his third one though, so I think he's done well to make it through two molars and we didn't even know anything was up.  I hate teething, I hope it's over soon.  Poor kid just isn't himself.
Even when grumpy, he's cute. ;) I've got to say something about this toboggan, it is a YOUTH MEDIUM.  Not a child or even toddler size.  YOUTH.  He's 2. With a huge head.  Huge brain, perhaps?  ;)

Yesterday was speech therapy day.  Have I mentioned how much we love our speech therapist?  She is great and very patient with Colt.  Yesterday was a rough session.  He wasn't very cooperative at the beginning, but he warmed up.  First of all, he woke up crying around 5:30 yesterday morning, so I went to console him and he went willingly back to bed.  I watched him on the monitor and he slept about 10 minutes, when he jerked up and started screaming.  It was like something was scaring him.  Anyway, I went in a few times but he just wasn't sleeping well.  I finally got him up and we laid on the couch.  He then slept about 45 more minutes on my chest.  He woke up grumpy so, like I said, speech therapy was hard.  After about 10 minutes of trying to warm him up, he finally gave in. We worked on mimicking Jaime again and Colt did great.  He made the P, M, N, D, and G sounds.  Always ending in the "ah" sound.  "Pa," "Ma," "Ga," etc.  He isn't really making any other vowel sounds, so that is our homework this week.  We're going to try for Es and Os, like "Me" and "Go" and the like.  Still no real words, but new sounds.  Any type of progress is exciting to me.  He got tired of the sounds very quickly yesterday and just wanted to play in his room with Jaime.  He showed her all of his books, so they read a bit.  It wasn't a total waste of an hour. 

My snuggle buddy early yesterday morning

Doesn't he just look grumpy??  Yikes!!
 
I made my famous (at our house anyway ;)) meatloaf for dinner last night.  This is Ryan's all time favorite meal that I make.  I am telling you, this meatloaf is awesome.  I like meatloaf pretty well, but all others seem dry and dense to me after eating this one.  I'm pretty sure it will rock your world.  The secret is Rotel.  Also, Ritz crackers instead of bread or breadcrumbs or whatever.  The Rotel gives it a kick, but doesn't make it spicy.  You could use the mild kind if you were afraid.  Okay, here you go:

My favorite meatloaf

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb of ground beef
1 egg
1 can of Rotel, undrained
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers, crushed
1 teaspoon onion flakes
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix all the ingredients together until evenly mixed.  Pack into a meatloaf pan.
3. Bake in the oven for around 1 hour, until no longer pink inside.  Top with ketchup, if you wish.

The end.  That's it.  Simple, right?  Delicious too!  We served it with homemade mashed potatoes (duh!) and roasted zucchini.  Colt will fight you for that roasted zucchini, so dinner was a hit last night. Try it.  Let me know what you think. :) 

Well, I suppose the next blog post will be after Christmas.  Until then, I hope everyone has a great weekend and a lovely Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment