The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Weekend Follow-up!

Oh this weekend went by way too fast.  It was fairly uneventful, but still, it was the weekend.  Saturday was just Colt and me.  Sometime in the middle of the night, Ryan woke up throwing up.  All. Night. Long.  Ugh.  Sunday was his only day off this week and he was sick.  :(  It was not a fun time.  I was afraid it was the stomach virus and that Colt and I would end up getting it, but we haven't so far.  I am hoping by now, 3 days later, we are in the clear.  Later that afternoon, Colt and I went to my dad and Judy's house to visit and go to dinner.  Every Sunday we do that.  I think we all enjoy it so much.  Colt loves his G-Daddy and Nana.  I love to watch Colt with them, it is extra special to see your child and your parents interact, you know?  Yesterday was Monday, but still technically our "weekend." We had a really great lunch at my cousin's house and got to spend some time with some of my other cousins.  :)  We don't do that enough.  I had a great time.  Then last night, we had friends over for dinner.  We also don't do that enough.  I'll share some of my recipes from last night. 

I made Famous Pork Chops, homemade mashed potatoes, roasted okra, and orzo. Also, homemade blackberry cobbler for dessert.  I've been making the pork chops for years and Ryan loves these.  I got the original recipe from here, but will copy it below.

Famous Pork Chops
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers ( I use a whole sleeve!)
  • garlic salt to taste (more is better here)
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 4 pork chops
  • 1/2 cup butter
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a shallow bowl combine crushed crackers, garlic salt and pepper; mix well. In a separate bowl beat eggs.
  3. Dip your pork chops in the egg batter and then in the cracker mixture. Place the pork chops in a casserole dish. Place chunks of the butter around the pork chops. Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
The roasted okra came from Pinterest and it was AMAZING.  I was a little unsure, but it was a hit.  I don't have an exact recipe, but I took fresh okra, cut the ends off and then tossed it with olive oil, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and seasoning salt.  I spread it on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and baked it for about 20 minutes on 450, I think.  Seriously....good stuff!

The orzo came from a blog called The Cutting Edge of Ordinary.  It was also really yummy and I can't wait to eat the leftovers! 

This weekend also consisted of a simple craft for Colt's wall.  It was a 12x12 canvas that I painted with light blue stripes and painted a "C" to glue on top.  I originally intended to paint the canvas in a chevron pattern, but let's be honest, I got lazy.  I thought it would be smart to use blue painter's tape to create the stripes, instead of painstakingly trying to make the edges perfect.  BIG MISTAKE.  The paint bled under the tape pretty badly, so I had to actually paint my white stripes on.  In the picture below you can see where I have touched up the top two white lines. :/

I finally got it touched up and got the "C" painted the color that I wanted.  It should have been a very simple little project, but I got frustrated more than once.  I'm ready to move on to something new now!  Below is the final project.
 I think it's hanging a little crooked, but you get the idea.  I am pretty happy with it. :) 

I'll leave you with a few pictures from the weekend.  Enjoy!
My little Superman!

Showing off his new forehead knot.

Playing the piano!

Showing his stubborn morning face.

2 comments:

  1. Try parmesan cheese (powder kind that you put on spaghetti) on the okra next time with the olive oil and everything else! We do this with asparagus, and it it AWESOME!

    - Lauren Seguin

    ReplyDelete