The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Birthday Time!!

There isn't a whole lot going on around the "House of Doo."  The biggest thing is preparing for Colt's second birthday!  I can't believe it has been two years!  I know it is so cliche, but time really does fly.  The past two years have been hard, but the most delightful, magical, and just plain FULL years I have ever experienced.  I can't remember what life was even like before Colt.  I am okay with that.  I swore I would never be the kind of mother who lets my children define me or who I am, and I don't think I have, but he sure has taught me what life is all about and what I am about.  He has shown me to enjoy the simple things, like lying in the grass staring at clouds, picking flowers which are probably really weeds, and how to giggle uncontrollably over goofy faces.  I am forever grateful for that. He is such a happy, silly, loving, and smart boy.  I could not be more proud. :) 

His daily cloud-watching spot in our yard.

Anyway, sorry, I had to get the sappy stuff out.  We are having a Mickey Mouse theme for Colt's party.  We're having it at a pavillion at a local park.  The weather this week has been around 80 (and it's almost Halloween!) but go figure, Saturday (the day of the party) it is supposed to be 63 and possibly rainy.  Boo.  Oh well, Colt won't care if it rains.  We're having hot dogs and chili, apple cider and hot chocolate (thanks, Julie!), and Mickey cupcakes.  We've got some Mickey decorations and I made a banner that I saw on Pinterest.  It turned out great and Colt loves it!  He knows it has his name on it and there are Mickey "heads" on it, which he loves. He isn't much of a sweet eater, but maybe he'll try a Mickey cupcake.  I am so thankful for family and friends who have helped me with this!  Our friend, Jessica, made him the cutest Mickey shirt, you can find her blog here.  She is very talented.  I can't get the picture to upload of the shirt, but I'll post it in the birthday blog.  I always get anxious when Ryan and I mix our families together.  Why, I am not sure, but I just can't help it.  Sigh.  Colt will be in Heaven surrounded by all of those people though! 

Sorry for the crappy picture quality, but here's the banner.  Pinterest WIN!
 
Colt's playground thing is almost finished!  It looks great and is huge.  I had no idea it was going to be so big, but he's going to love it.  The only thing left to do is finish the steps to the upper level, put up one last railing on the top, and fill in the box at the end of the slide with mulch or sand or whatever.  Ryan is so proud of it and Colt is going to love it!  He already loves the swing, I can't wait until we can set him loose on the rest.

Happy to be alive.
 
Sweet face (and beautiful eyes!)
 
Ryan and my dad hard at work on the playground.

Saturday night, our dear friends Julie and Ricky had a house-warming/fall party at their house.  It was wonderful.  Julie is the ultimate at setting a fun environment and making people feel comfortable.  We had hot dogs and chili (we're fans, can you tell?), apple cider, smores, and a fire in their firepit!  It was awesome!  A perfect fall night.  This past Sunday, my dad, Ryan, Colt, and I went up on Dayton Mountain to our cousins' farm.  It is beautiful up there and the leaves were even more vibrant than they are down in the valley.  It was a gorgeous day for pumpkin picking and playing with animals.  They have cows, goats, a donkey, chickens, turkeys, dogs, etc.  It was great to visit with our family that we don't see often and let Colt run around on the farm.  We also went to Oren Wooden's Apple House and got some cider, apples, and homemade apple dumplins.  It was a perfect fall day.  I took some pictures, then realized a few minutes ago that my memory card was not in my camera.  :(  I do have a couple phone pictures, so I'll share those. 

Fire!!
 
Reading before church.

Snuggling with Granddad at the farm.
 
Picking Cousin Anthony's banjo.
 
Colt's actual birthday is Sunday and the day after, we have his evaluation for speech therapy. They already told us he'll need it. I could tell you that. I keep reading blogs of mothers who have kids Colt's age and all the things their children are saying. I am starting to feel that urgency to pressure him to talk. Are we doing something wrong? Do we baby him too much? Do we do too much for him? Probably. Don't all first time parents? I keep hearing about how he should be putting two or three words together by now. He doesn't say anything. Not even "no," which most kids have been saying for a year by now. I have the dream where he suddenly speaks at least once or twice a week. I don't worry about his intelligence, because he obviously understands anything you say to him. He follows two-step directions and all that, so I know he gets it. I'm sure it's just that he is stubborn, but I want him to talk so desperately. I want him to talk WAY more than I wanted him to walk and I thought I wanted that pretty badly. One day. Maybe the speech therapy will be the trick.


I hope this blog finds you all well.  I'm sure I'll post some birthday pictures next week!  Enjoy your weekend!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment