The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New Year Update!

I haven't posted in so long that I don't have a clue where to begin this blog post! I feel like so much has happened, but now that I sit down to document it somehow, my mind is blank. Please forgive me if when I ramble and jump around out of order. Let's see...I think I last posted right after Christmas.

We have since celebrated the new year. Last Thursday I had the intention of posting about 2012 and what I was looking forward to in 2013, but I kind of lost my motivation. I was supposed to work Thursday (for the first time in a week!) but ended up going to the walk-in clinic because I just knew I had the flu. I hurt all over like someone had beat me with a hammer, had the chills, and a terrible sore throat. It felt like a combination of the flu and a sinus infection. I ended up waiting 3 hours to see someone. I contemplated leaving a few times, but knew I was legitimately sick so I stuck it out. A strep test, a flu test, and 3 hours later, I was right. The flu and a sinus infection. I got a prescription for Tamiflu and a Z-Pack and went home to rest. Thursday was kind of rough, but Friday was better. By Saturday, I was almost completely over it. I had the flu about 4 years ago and it was AWFUL. This was absolutely nothing like that. The only complaints I had were body aches, fever, and a throat that felt like I was trying to swallow a cheese grater. No runny/stuffy nose, no cough, nothing else. So either I caught it early and the Tamiflu helped or I had a really weak strain. Either way, I am thankful it wasn't bad. So. That is part of the reason I am so far behind.

Last Wednesday was our first speech therapy session of the new year. Colt was pretty uncooperative for the first half, but finally got into it for the second half of the session. I may have mentioned this in the last post, but Colt has been making the "Ma" sound along with the sign for "More" and the "Pa" sound with the sign for "Please." He is consistently saying "Puh, puh" when he wants something. That warms my heart every time. It's hard when he asks for something I don't want him to have, like a snack before dinner, when he does his little sign and looks so sweet at me saying "Puh, puh..." I want to reward him every time! So far though, that's all we've gotten. We are unable to get other vowel sounds still. No "eee" or "oh" or "I" or strong "a" sounds. It's a bit discouraging because the first few weeks, he made huge strides with the signing and new sounds and it seems like we have hit a bit of a plateau. I am hoping that changes soon. I am still so anxious to hear that precious little voice. :)

For those of you that know me well, you know I have had terrible allergies since I was Colt's age. I have taken allergy shots off and on for over 20 years, with a few years of "breaks" in between. I take them now, two shots a week and have for about 3 years this time. I also have a severe peanut allergy, like the kind that can kill you. I had never had an accidental ingestion until I was pregnant with Colt. Go figure. I was about 6 months pregnant and ate at a local Japanese hibachi type restaurants and somehow got some type of nut in my food. I knew it immediately after two bites, and told Ryan we had to go. I have an Epi-Pen, but being pregnant, I wasn't sure if I could use it. I have never had to use it before, so I was scared. We called my dad (go figure, he always knows what to do!) and he told me to call my allergy doctor. Luckily, they have an emergency line and called my doc. I have seen this doctor since I was Colt's age and think of him almost as family. He called me immediately and talked to Ryan on the phone. In the meantime, I am throwing up out the side of the car and my throat is closing up, so I couldn't breathe. My doctor sent me to Erlanger because they have a children's hospital seeing as I was pregnant. He called ahead so I wouldn't have to wait and Ryan rushed me to the ER doing at least 90 on the interstate. My blood pressure was scary high, I was getting very little oxygen and I was pregnant. It was terrifying. Anyway, they hooked me up to oxygen and gave me the strongest dose of Benadryl through IV possible. It worked almost immediately and obviously, Colt and I are fine now. ANYWAY, all that to say, I have been absolutely paranoid about Colt having the same issues as me. We had him tested before he was a year old, but he didn't test positive for anything. My doctor told me that really he was too young and allergies don't develop until after a few exposures to an allergen. So, here we are today. I have mentioned before that Colt has had a face rash that occurs when he eats sometimes, and we finally narrowed it down to cinnamon. He hasn't had cinnamon in about 3 weeks and about a week and a half ago, he got the worst rash yet. We had eaten at Shogun for lunch (where we've eaten numerous times), then immediately brought him home to take a nap. When he got up from his nap, his face was terribly broken out. The day before it happened at the mexican restaurant we have eaten at more than 25 times at least. 

Anyway, we have another allergy skin test tomorrow. We're changing insurance companies and having a bit of a hard time getting our cards and stuff, so hopefully we'll be able to go. I want to find out what's causing this because it's frustrating for one, but I am afraid it will turn into a more serious reaction and I won't know what's causing it. So. Sorry for the book there.

I just got off the phone with our speech therapy case manager. She told me that our beloved speech therapist got a sort of promotion and won't be doing our therapy anymore. :( This breaks my heart. Now we have a choice of an older lady who will come to our home, or a new person who is an actual Speech Pathologist who also specializes in children who have problems eating. I know no one believes that Colt has eating issues, but it's really the WAY he eats. He doesn't chew very well and tends to choke and throw up a lot. Granted, the throwing up has almost completely stopped, because they taught us how to "talk him out of it." It was like the only way he knew to not choke was to throw up. Now we can kind of talk him down and he can just cough it out. Anyway, that's his "eating issue." The Speech Pathologist doesn't do home visits, so we'll have to take him to the clinic every week. I am afraid of that because it is a new place, so he will be more stimulated by new toys and surroundings, making him less likely to sit down and concentrate. Decisions, decisions.

I hope everyone has a wonderful year and that it was better than the last.  This year I hope to hear Colt say "I love you!" and we plan to be back in Flintstone!  Those two things are what I am looking forward to most.  :)

Here are some pictures of our past week or so. :)

Love this face!
Happy boy!

His buddy, Tanner.

I made banana oatmeal muffins...from scratch!

My little innovator.

Tucker's workout plan.

Brownies in the bathtub!

Home.  :)

Good morning, world!


  1. I'll be praying for you, Ryan, and Colt as you are making you decisions. Colt is well loved and I'm sure he is bursting out the seems wanting to express his love for you. :)You are a wonderful mother!
    On another note...What is the recipe for those muffins ;) They look yummy!

    1. Jessica, I will tag you in the pin on Pinterest! I can't post it here for some reason!

  2. I was just thinking earlier today (before I read this post) how I can't wait to hear Cooper say "I love you!" I think it'll happen for both of us sooner than we think! If their smarts for ipads and iphones are any indication I think we both have little geniuses on our hands!

    1. Oh, Cassidy, I think they are little geniuses for sure! ;)