The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Friday, February 22, 2013

Answers, at least somewhat.

We finally heard from the neurologist this morning.  I am writing it here because so many of you have prayed and asked about our sweet boy and honestly, I just want to write it/tell it once.  Thank you all for that, it has helped us through all the waiting.  It is a lot of information, but also still a lot of unknown, so forgive me if it doesn't make sense.  It doesn't all make sense to us yet either.

First of all, the MRI did provide some answers as to why Colt is different.  Apparently, the white matter in the back of Colt's brain is damaged or scarred.  Why, they are not exactly clear.  The damage is in the same part of his brain that is damaged when someone has a stroke, though he didn't have a stroke.  This can explain (somewhat) the reason why he isn't speaking yet. 

Also, the ventricles in this part of his brain are too big, also not explained just yet.  I don't know what that means or how it will affect him. 

There are different "gradations" or levels of severity for this and the neurologist just makes a guess at how severe it is for each person.  On a scale of 0-10 (0 = normal, 10 = the worst) Colt is about a 3.  I also don't know exactly what that means. 

The one thing they can tell for sure is WHEN this damage happened.  It happened late into my pregnancy, before he was even born.  It is most likely related to the polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid that I had) and my blood pressure and fluid retention while pregnant.  They don't know what caused me to have that, but sadly, it affects Colt now.  :(

So.  That is all we know for now.  There is a REASON for the speech/motor/developmental delays and the eye problems.  How it will affect him in the future is still unknown. 

We will discuss this further at our appointment with the neurologist in March and will have more testing to follow which will hopefully enlighten us about the future.  Please keep our special boy in your prayers.  Also, his parents and family. 

2 comments:

  1. Man, I know this must be difficult. Not knowing what the future will look like for your kid is so hard, and is something I'm currently struggling with, as well. God is showing me that even if everything was "normal," nothing is for certain, and that He loves my children even more than I do, so all I can do is trust in Him. I will be praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Lydia. I will keep you guys in my prayers too.

      Delete