The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The MRI and a HUGE prayer request..

It has been a very long day and it is not even lunch time yet!  Colt's MRI was this morning.  4:45 came really early, but we made it to the hospital and he was asleep and having his scan by 7:20.  This is the sixth time Colt has been put to sleep for something, but it was the first time they let us be in there when they put him to sleep.  In my mind, it seemed like a good idea and that it may be easier on Colt if we were there.  In reality, it was one of the hardest things we've ever had to do.  Holding him down while they put that stupid mask with the gas on his face was horrible.  He kept looking up at Ryan with these precious little eyes that asked "Why are you letting them do this to me?"  It took 5 adults to hold him down.  Two were grown men.  I hope we are never asked to be there for that again.  I was absolutely no help, I just stood there and cried.  I'm usually the strong one when it comes to this, but I just couldn't do it this time.  I could hear Ryan whispering "Colt, look at's okay, look at Daddy."  It tore my heart out.  Anyway, he was asleep in about a minute, but it seemed like ten.  Seeing his little body lay on the stretcher will forever be burned into my brain.  I knew he was just "asleep" but he didn't even look alive.  I watch him sleep all the time and he doesn't sleep like that. If they ask us to come back with them again, I don't think we'll go.  I can't imagine that it's easier for Colt to have his parents holding him to the bed.  Anyway, the MRI lasted about an hour, then he was in recovery for just a few minutes before they called us back.  He was crying, obviously, and ready to see us.  As soon as he calmed down a bit and drank a little juice, they sent us home.  We didn't have to stay long after that, nothing like when he has surgery.  So.  It's over now, Colt was a champ like usual, and he seems to be fine now.  I'm sure he'll be a little dopey and sleepy for the rest of the day, but we can handle that.  ;)  We should know the results by Thursday.  Our neurologist should call by then, if not, we're to call them.  After Colt's bloodwork, he called us himself, so I am confident he will do so again with this.  Thank you to everyone for your prayers.  The first hard part is over, now we wait for answers.  I hope they have some, I don't care to have Colt go through tests for months on end. 

Yesterday, our case manager came to discuss Colt's speech therapy.  I really like her a lot, she is very helpful and reassuring.  She is going to change Colt's plan to just speech and we'll stop the eating/chewing stuff.  She also changed our 6 month goal.  Our first 6 month goal was for Colt to be able to say two words together.  Obviously, we aren't there.  The next 6 months, we'll work on saying one word or at least mimicking a word.  :/  It frustrates me to have to go backwards with a goal, that's usually not what you want.  ;)  But hey, we'll get there.  I am thankful for these people and their willingness to help and coach us through this.  :)

I'll leave this post with that.  I know it was a lot.  Actually, you know I'll tack on some pictures.  They warm my heart, hope they do the same for you. :)

I am so proud of my nephew, Tucker.  He is growing into such an amazing young man.  Also, Colt adores him.  ;) 

Singing.  ;)  He's going to be a musician one day, I am sure of it.
Just cute. 
Waiting at the hospital this morning.  He was much perkier than his parents. :)
*Okay, I thought I was done.  I just got a call from my mom.  My stepdad had an MRI the other day to check to make sure his cancer hasn't come back.  He had an appointment with his doctor today.  I just kind of assumed that no news was good news, but I was wrong.  His cancer has come back in the cavity left from his previous cancer/pancreas removal.  If you know the history there, you know how big of a deal this is.  Granted, I suppose cancer is always a big deal.  I beg you, please, cover them in prayers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment