The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, February 14, 2013

To Chew or Not to Chew...

Yesterday's blog was written on my phone, so it was short and sweet.  Maybe I should do that more often.  My blogs tend to get lengthy.  ;) 

We had our second speech therapy session with our new therapist yesterday.  We've been going to the clinic and being there makes me feel weird.  When I see Colt with children who do not have any developmental/motor/speech delays, I realize just how much he needs this therapy.  Then when I see him at the clinic with children who need it so much worse than he does, I feel kind of silly for being there.  He's behind, yes, but not nearly as severely as some of the children there.  That feeling, combined with the fact that we are making absolutely no progress whatsoever, makes me want to give up.  I'm really missing Jaime (yes, Jaime, we miss you!) and I am not sold on the kind of therapy they are doing now.  You may recall that it was mentioned that Colt was having some eating issues.  It's really not much, but he doesn't chew the right way.  That "sounds" silly typed out, doesn't it?  It does to me.  Anyway, for some reason, I feel like our new therapist is hung up on the way Colt eats.  We have one hour of therapy a week and the past two weeks, we have spent 40-45 minutes each session watching Colt eat. I love the kid, but watching him eat isn't all that entertaining.  He hasn't said a single word yet, no new sounds, and no new signs aside from what we've taught him at home.  There is almost no speech therapy at all.  I am VERY discouraged.  I don't know why we are so hung up on the way Colt eats.  The kid eats brussel sprouts, broccoli, green beans, zucchini, and okra for crying out loud.  He went through a phase where he would choke and throw up a lot, but they taught us how to "talk him out of it" and we don't have that problem anymore.  Now we have that problem with medicine!  :/  Ha!  So, there.  I said it.  I am frustrated.  Our case manager is coming to our house on Monday to check-in and see how things are going, so I guess I'll get to talk to her about it then. 

As I posted yesterday, I took Colt back to the doctor and he has bronchitis.  They gave us Zithromax and told us to give him 1 teaspoon yesterday and 1/2 a teaspoon for the following 4 days.  Well, we did as we were told and Colt promptly puked his guts up.  This seems to be the cool thing to do for him lately.  I AM NOT AMUSED.  Anyway, the problem is that the pharmacy only gives you the exact amount you will need.  There is no room for error (or puking).  I am wondering if that is why Colt has bronchitis.  When he had croup, he threw up his first day's dose of steroids, which meant he only got 2 full doses instead of 3.  Maybe that's why it never really went away and turned into bronchitis?  Just a thought.  Like I said yesterday, we go back Monday to make sure his lungs are clear enough to be put to sleep.  I am so afraid we're going to have to put this MRI off, but maybe not.  We shall see! 

I swear, some days I think we could have our own TV show.  There is never a dull moment.  Maybe that's a blessing in disguise.  I will keep looking for the blessing to show itself.  ;)

Not even phased by being at the doctor's office anymore.  Also, he's looking very grown up.

3 comments:

  1. I can just imagine all your frustration... and the medical bills that are pilling up! Do you have to pay for speech each week too? We're praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are piling up, for sure. We do have to pay for speech, but haven't been billed yet. It is free for a certain salary-range, but we didn't make the cut. They fail to take into account how much money we have spent over the past two years for Colt to have 4 surgeries and 2 MRIs however. I can only imagine what this is going to cost us, so it upsets me to not see anymore benefits.

    ReplyDelete