The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Organized Chaos.

It has been an unbelievably busy week since I last posted.  Organized chaos, maybe? Last Wednesday, a couple of things happened.  First of all, we had speech therapy.  I was excited to go because a couple of days before that, Colt made a new sound.  I realize that probably sounds silly, but we get excited any time he makes a new sound because that is one step closer to saying a word.  Humor me.  Anyway, we got to talking to our speech pathologist and our service coordinator about the neurologist and all that he had told us.  They both said almost at the same time, "That sounds like a stroke."  If you remember, when Dr. Miller called us with the MRI results, he kept saying "stroke" and that the damage looked "stroke-like" but would never say that he actually had one.  They said that if it happened in utero, we would never know.  We started talking about when and why I had to see a high-risk obstetrician while I was pregnant and it happened suddenly, when I was about 7 1/2 months pregnant.  Tiffany asked if I had been under any stress or if anything had changed around then...  It suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks.  My sweet Nana died about 2 weeks before I was sent to the high-risk doctor.  That was the most gut-wrenching, heartbreaking time of my life. Tiffany and Ashley both looked at each other like, "that's it."  Honestly, as soon as we talked through it, I kind of got that same feeling.  It might sound weird to say I hope he's had a stroke, but I kind of do hope that's what it is.  That would mean it isn't degenerative and that's exactly what we want.  I am trying to come to terms with the fact that we may never know exactly.

Also on Wednesday, we closed on our new house.  I haven't said a lot about it on here because I was afraid I would jinx it.  ;)  We bought a cute house in Stanford Place near my stepsister, Amie, her husband, Randy, and her boys, Tucker and Tanner.  It's bigger than our house now and has a finished basement that will make a great playroom for Colt and all of his bajillion toys.  The owners weren't quite ready to move out, so they were going to rent for a few weeks.  Long story short, they got to move quicker than they thought, so now we can get to work on cleaning and painting that house.  Ugh.  I do not enjoy that. 

The new House of Doo.


This week was hard for Ryan's family, because on Thursday, his brother, Chris, was admitted to the hospital.  He stayed until Saturday.  He's having constant severe migraines and is home now, but still is in a lot of pain.  He is supposed to see a neurologist soon.  Ryan, his mom, and his dad went down to be with Chris, so Colt and I were on our own this weekend. 

Friday night, my friend Julie came over to hang out for a while and we let Colt fingerpaint.  I mentioned earlier, he's been making a new sound.  It's a kind of "oooooo" sound. Well, we were painting with blue and we asked him to say it.  He got SOOOOOO close!  I was glad Julie was there to witness it.  :)  He's been trying to say it again for days and he's right there.  It's a HUGE step for him!  I am so proud.  :) 

Saturday night, I had tickets to see Elton John with my aunt, Diane, and friends, Lindsey and Jeff.  I was afraid I wouldn't be able to go with Ryan out of town, but our dear friend, Jody watched Colt for me.  Yes, the one who got locked out of the house by Colt last time he watched him.  ;)  I am so thankful to have friends we can trust with our son and that love him almost as much as we do.  As for Elton John, he was amazing.  It was truly a thing of beauty.  They kept zooming in on his fingers on the piano and putting them up on the big screen.  I was mesmerized by his short, stubby little fingers and the way they could dance over the keys of the piano.  He is a star, no doubt. 

Lindsey!

My dear aunt Diane.


So.  Sunday and Monday were relatively mundane.  Not much happened other than Colt really, REALLY showing that he is, indeed, a two year old boy.  Holy cow.  I hope this phase passes soon.  He is suddenly very short-tempered and difficult, maybe frustrated even.  I have been wondering if his communication difficulties would show soon and I am wondering if that's what's going on.  He does seem to be trying a lot harder to talk, which is good, yet obviously frustrating for him.  If we can just learn how to handle him when he gets this way, maybe it'll push him harder to talk.  I hope it doesn't have the opposite effect.  ;) 
At work with Daddy.
 
Well, that's my weekly catch-up post.  I hope everyone has a wonderful week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment