The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, May 23, 2013

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back.

Today I come to you a little upset and scared.  Yesterday, we had Colt's speech therapy just like normal.  When his speech therapist brought him out afterward, she said that he hadn't done very well.  Usually, she comes out smiling and talking about how proud of him she is.  I was thinking that he just hadn't cooperated with her, but that wasn't the case.  She said it was almost as if he was having some problems hearing.  She said he had tried very hard, but it was as if the words weren't coming anymore.  The things he did try to say were very jumbled and very unclear, as if he had forgotten how to say them or how to enunciate them.  She seemed a little worried, but she also said the whole time he was in therapy, he was covering his ears. She wasn't sure if they hurt or if he wasn't hearing.  He has had his hearing tested a few times and has passed without question every time.  He has had an ear infection, but he has been on antibiotics for over a week.  The hurting should be long gone by now.  Either way, hurting doesn't explain him not being able to talk.  I tried all day yesterday to get him to say words that he has been saying for a couple of weeks and I got nothing.  Last night, Ryan and I sat down with him and some little toys that are brightly colored.  We tried desperately to get him to say the colors he has been saying for a while and the only word we got was "blue."  I am so afraid he is reversing in his progress.  This has happened before with him.  When he was somewhere around a year old, he would say "mama," "dada," "nana," and "yum."  Then suddenly, he couldn't say any of them and it lasted until just recently when he started again.  That was over a year!  Even now, when he says "dada" it isn't with a "d" sound, when it once was.  It wasn't even a letter sound that I can pinpoint.  Now suddenly, it is a definite "g" sound.  Very strange.  So, needless to say, I am so afraid.  I ask that you keep him in your prayers if you would.  I hate asking over and over for your prayers, but you know, I honestly don't know what else to do. 

4 comments:

  1. We'll definitely pray for y'all! I don't know much about ear infections (besides the fact that both of my boys have had a lot of them), but do you think he could just have a lot of fluid on them still? Maybe that's affected his speech and could lead to a simple solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassidy, that is what I am hoping for! I am going to make an appointment for tomorrow to have them checked.

      Delete