The House of Doo

The House of Doo

Thursday, November 1, 2012

My future Bulldawg.

Most of you have probably seen all of this on Facebook, but I'll post anyway so I have it to look back on in the future.  Yesterday, we saw Colt's pediatrician, Dr. Smith, for his two year check-up.  He weighed in at a whopping 38 lbs and measured 39 inches tall.  He has always been big, usually off the growth chart, though I think once he ranked in the 99th percentile in size.  This time, he was well over an inch off the growth chart.  For those of you who haven't seen the chart, the whole chart is only about 3 inches total, so being an entire inch OFF the chart is a big deal.  Dr. Smith said your average 3 year old measures around 38 inches tall, and Colt has surpassed that by an entire inch, being only 3 days into 2 years old.  Amazing.  Dr. Smith said that it was honestly "a bit abnormal" and he would be concerned if Colt were not proportional.  Thank goodness he is!  ;)  We definitely have a lineman on our hands.  As long as he's a Bulldawg, I am cool with it.  Ha! 

We also had the Terrible Twos discipline/parenting pep talk.  I love our pediatrician.  He is blunt and honest.  He did warn me that Threes are worse, but I am trying not to focus on that.  Colt has already shown a side of himself that I didn't know existed.  It really started a few days before his birthday and I wondered if the Terrible Twos were real, but I can already tell you they are for sure. He fusses over things that have never phased him before.  He refuses to let me change his diaper by squeezing his knees together.  Have you ever tried to change a diaper on a kid with his knees pinched together?  Whew.  It's exhausting.  I have never had to pray that God help me handle Colt without getting angry or frustrated until the past week.  There will be two more years of this??  YIKES!  Dr. Smith talked to me about "Time-out" and how Colt is at the age where he begins to understand it.  I guess we'll begin practicing that.  Sigh.  He also talked me through the "No Means No" business.  He said "If you say 'no' then later give in, you will never, EVER win again."  Who knew parenting was going to be so hard??  ;)

Throughout our speech evaluations, speech delay and developmental delays, we have been asked a million questions about Colt and I can always tell what they are getting at...they're trying to figure out if he is autistic or not.  The speech therapist/teacher/nurse all told me they didn't think he was, but to hear our pediatrician say it yesterday made my day.  He said Colt is entirely too social, has great eye contact and is too inquisitive to be autistic.  Honestly, I used to worry that maybe he was because he went through a phase where he was terribly sound sensitive.  Now that his eyes are much better, his sound sensitivity is almost gone.  That explained that.  After that got better, I really didn't think he had a problem, but I was hoping I wasn't just in denial.  We have a neighbor whose grandson is severely autistic, but they are in denial and won't acknowledge it, therefore he is not getting the help and treatment he needs and I didn't want to be that way.  My heart hurts for that boy. 

Well, we are less than two months from Christmas.  Those of you who know me, know I am a terrible Grinch.  I HATE Christmas.  I hate Christmas music, I hate buying gifts simply because I worry so much about whether or not it is the right gift or not, I hate having to try to figure out how to get to everyone's house to see everyone when I just want to spend the day in my pjs in the comfort of my own home.  I hated it as a kid too.  Maybe coming from divorced parents, having to figure out how to go see all 4 of my families in the span of a day or two?  BUT.....This year, I can ALMOST feel a little bit of Christmas spirit.  ALMOST.  Gasp!!!  ;)  Maybe it's Colt.  Maybe it's the fact that I know we need to start our own traditions as a family and not worry about seeing everyone.  I don't know, but I am excited to try to enjoy the season with Colt and Ryan (who loves Christmas!) and celebrate what it really means to us.  Either way, maybe this year will be better.  Here's hoping.  I think I will pull out Colt's copy of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" to try to enhance the Almost-Christmas spirit. ;)

My Little Mini-Me.  This is a Jessica face, hands down.
 
In the past 6 weeks, we have had 10 doctor's appointments.  We don't have another one until November 30.  29 days!  Woohoo!  I am looking forward to our days off together with no appointments.  We are free to do what we please for the whole month.  Yay! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment